Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
17 Jun 2019   /   0 comments

How Do I Get a Title for a Car That Doesn’t Have One?


Many used car buyers ask the question “How do I get a title for a car that doesn’t have one”? We, at TFC Title Loans, obviously aren’t exactly in the business of buying and selling cars. We are a title loan lender, the oldest in California actually! So, we are not directly related to this question! Nonetheless, we believe we have a responsibility to any past, current, or potential customers to financially educate, equip, and empower them to build a bright economic future for themselves, their family, and their future generations.

How Do I Get a Title for a Car That Doesn’t Have One?

How Do I Get a Title for a Car That Doesn't Have One

Ever since we first opened our doors in 1994, we have gone the extra mile for our valued customers. We have further decided since then, that we might as well go above and beyond to help those who aren’t currently, or may never be, our customers. We will be expanding our resource pages even further to include questions about the DMV, the buying and selling of cars, and financial planning. For over 25 years, we have been helping customers with the title transfer and replacement of a lost title process so they can be free to apply to a loan with us. However, we can put that knowledge and experience to use for other various situations including how to buy a car that doesn’t have a title. 

With our second-to-none customer service, we have drawn thousands upon thousands of customers to obtain title loans through us. Consumer education is a high priority of ours so if you need more information, then please continue reading. If you feel as if you are interested in receiving a title loan once you have bought your car, then please fill out the online application today! The process is simple, quick, and easy. 

How Do I Get a Title for a Car That Doesn't Have One

First Steps in Getting a Title for a Car that Doesn’t Have One

You must be extra cautious when buying a vehicle from a private seller because there are no warranties or guarantees involved. Conduct a full inspection of the vehicle to make sure that it is in good condition and that there will be no surprises when you drive away in it.

A title is necessary to register and obtain license plates for a vehicle. The first step you will need to take when you encounter a seller who does not have possession of the title is to ensure that the vehicle was not stolen. You can do this easily enough by locating the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and looking it up on the free VIN check on the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s website. 

Upon finding out that the car has not been stolen, you will be able to move ahead by inquiring the seller as to where the title might be. The title could have been lost whilst in their possession or it could have never been transferred to them by the previous owner. These are easy enough to remedy but it will require both the cooperation of the seller and the buyer.

Replacing a Lost Title

Each states’ requirements are different so we have chosen to include the three main states we currently operate in. If you do not live in one of these three states, you can find your state-specific information here.How Do I Get a Title for a Car That Doesn't Have One

The Arizona DMV requires that you fill out the Title and Registration Application (Form 96-0236) and show your identification if you come into the office. You may either mail in the form or bring it in person. 

The New Mexico DMV requires that you complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MVD-10901). You must take this form to your local DMV office in person. Then, pay the replacement fee listed on the application. 

The California DMV requires that you complete the Application for Duplicate Title (Form REG 227). You may either mail the application in or bring it to your local DMV office in person. 

If you’re still wondering how do I get a title for a car that doesn’t have one have any more questions in regards to the titling process when buying a car, we would love to answer them.

How Much Cash Can i Get?

© TFC Title Loans
All Rights Reserved

Follow Us

Lenders Law Licence Number by DBO 6038192